Captured by John Mill
There are three different categories (or sections) for the competition. Each member can enter Set Subject and just one of the other two categories as per their skill level and choice.
Enthusiast Section (two entries maximum)
This section is for new club members and photographers who consider they are still improving on their skills and not wanting to compete at a higher level. The Judge will provide a longer, more detailed critiques on your images submitted in this section. The Judge will give Gold, Silver, Bronze awards to worthy images. However, scores will not be tallied towards an overall enthusiast of the year. Members who enter this category are not eligible to enter images into the open category within the same exhibition.
Set Subject (single entry)
This section is open to all members with a single entry per competition. Entries in this section must comply with the definition, and the subject, or theme, must be dominant in the photograph. Images in this section can be manipulated to any level as long as each element is photographic and ALL aspects of the image, including post-production, have been produced by the submitting member.
Open Subject (two entries maximum)
This section is for photographers reasonably confident with their photography. Images in this section can be manipulated to any level as long as each element is photographic and ALL aspects of the image, including post-production, have been produced by the submitting member.
Exhibition Rules and Requirements
As amended November 2019
- Entry into Gem Camera Club Exhibitions is restricted to financial members of GEM Camera Club.
- The main elements or main subject of an image needs to be photographic in origin and captured/created by the author, including all developing/post production, within the 24-month period before the closing date for entries (unless otherwise stated). This time constraint does not apply to supporting elements in composite images.
- Images taken and/or processed under the instruction of a professional photography instructor should not be entered into club exhibitions, as there is a question of skills/conceptual ownership in the creation of these images.
- Each image entered, regardless of category, shall be substantially different in interpretation from any other image entered by the same author, as the intent of our exhibitions is to showcase unique, content-diverse pictures. If two images are considered of the same subject, we will attempt to contact the photographer to discuss this, but if contact cannot be made before the closing date of the exhibition, the first image received will be retained and the other/s disqualified.
- Once an entry has gained a Gold, Silver or Bronze award in a club exhibition, it cannot be re-entered in future club exhibitions. Rule 4 will be applied to similar images that have already won an award in previous competitions. Specifically, this includes images taken of the same subject, on the same date as the winning image.
- Entries that may not comply with the rules or set subject will be considered by the Exhibition Director and/or Club Committee before they are disqualified.
- Images cannot be watermarked or logo embedded.
- Gem Camera Club reserves the right to reject an image if in Gem Camera Club’s opinion:a. it is or may be attended by unlawful; orb. immoral aspects or publication might expose Gem Camera Club to criminal prosecution or civil liability.
- Copyright remains with the entrant, but the entrant agrees that the Gem Camera Club may have limited license to use any entered image for Gem Camera Club promotional or training purposes, either online or in print. If used for promotion, the photographer will be credited, though, no logos or watermarks will be applied. All new members are to complete a Media Consent Form, for images to be used.
Digital File Requirements
- Files must contain their metadata with full EXIF data so that the date of capture can be confirmed.
- File Specificationsa. Images to be sized no more than 1920 pixels wide AND no more than 1080 pixels highb. Resolution is 72 -150 ppi (pixels per inch)c. Maximum file size shall be 3 MB (3000 KB)d. The colour space for all entries to be sRGBe. The file format is to be JPEG
- Labelling images: the image files must be correctly labelled in the following format:a. Entrant’s first name, surname, category, number (if Open or Enthusiast), month and year. For example, Joe_Citizen_Enthusiast_2_February_2018b. Each word is to be separated by an underscore
- Deadline: Images MUST be uploaded to the GEM website by midnight on the Sunday 10 days prior to the Exhibition. Images submitted after this time will not be considered for that exhibition. Submission due dates will be published on the Gem Camera Club Website calendar.
If you have any difficulty or require clarification, please contact the Exhibition Director via email at email@example.com
The following points are awarded for each entry in the nominated Sections.
- Each entry submitted = 1 point
- Bronze = 2 points
- Silver = 4 points
- Gold = 6 points
End of Year Awards
At the end of the year, there will be the following winner categories, based on the most points awarded throughout the year.
- GEM Photographer of the Year – to be awarded to the member with the highest cumulative point total.
- Photograph of the Year for each section, selected from the Gold winners in that section.
- Overall Photograph of the Year will be chosen from the three winning photographs.
- Leading Point Scorers in Open and Set Subject.
- Most Improved Enthusiast to be decided by the GEM Camera Club committee.